Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Review of ADOPTED ED by Darren Maddern

My granddaughters love books, and they love for me to read to them. They are only 3 and4, but are precocious and smart. So I ordered a copy of the children’s book, ADOPTED ED, by Dareen Maddern, as part of an ongoing crusade to make sure Lucy and Edy become educated about all kinds of different people, places and things.
I never realized when I sat down to read ADOPTED ED that it would be such a well thought-out, sensitive and delightfully illustrated book.  Darren Maddern does a great job of explaining adoption to kids in a way that they can understand, but he goes far beyond that as he also shows the dark emotions and sometimes negative experiences that can unfortunately be a part of being adopted and how to handle them.
One thing I really was impressed by was the fact that the mom in the story is a woman of color, and the father Caucasian. This simple, smart move on the illustrator’s part, (the book is illustrated by Erin Fusco) helps enrich the story, moving it beyond not only the boundaries of convention but of color.
If you have an adopted child I would highly suggest this book, ADOPTED ED. You will enjoy it and so will your chosen child!

No comments:

Post a Comment